MCA ENG 1 Medical Certificate
- This is a very basic medical check-up to prove you are fit to work as a yacht crew member
- This is mandatory for any crew member working on board
- You have to book and pay this directly with Dr Rosendorff, the only MCA ENG 1 approved Doctor in Cape Town
- You cannot do this at any doctor, it must be a doctor who is approved by the MCA to provide this certificate
- To make this appointment, please call Dr Rosendorff – Tel: +27 21 424 2003
- For those of you wanting to do the ENG 1 Medical in Durban, there is another MCA approved doctor in Durban – please contact us for more information
This appointment must not be made on a day that you have another course, you will need a separate day for the ENG 1 appointment.
What is an MCA ENG 1 Certificate and why do I need it?
An ENG 1 Certificate is as important as the STCW Basic Training Certificates, if not more. Most yachts will not even look at your CV if you have not completed the STCW Course, and they also expect you to have a valid MCA ENG 1 Medical Certificate. It is a Medical examination, done by a MCA (Maritime and Coastguard Agency) Certified Medical Doctor, stating that you are fit to work on board a yacht. It is normally valid for 2 years. We can assist you in finding MCA approved doctors in South Africa certified to examine crew and issue this certificate. Please note that this cannot be done at any normal general practitioner, it has to be a Doctor who is affiliated with the MCA.